iZotope Stutter Edit and Breaktweaker
Please note this is available via ELECTRONIC DOWNLOAD only, your authorization code will be sent to you in 30 minutes or less during normal business hours. There are NO returns on this product .
Stutter Edit® is a playable multi-effect for both performance and the
studio designed by BT and developed by iZotope. You can use it in
Ableton Live, as well as other plug-in hosts on Mac and PC that support
MIDI. Unlike other effects, Stutter Edit gives you a huge amount of
control over slicing and stuttering audio in realtime.
You can use it to make complex and musical edits that would normally
take hours to create in the studio just by playing notes on a
controller. It also combines an array of rhythmic and “color” effects,
and a Generator section that creates noise sweeps, crashes and more. You
can improvise musical stutters, retriggering effects, transitions, and
build-ups, letting you make a live remix of a song as you’re playing it
during a performance.
How does it work?
Stutter Edit's features revolve around an innovative engine that continuously samples live audio, storing that audio in a buffer that can be manipulated in a myriad of ways. The key to unlocking Stutter Edit's capabilities is the use of Gestures: a set of effects and their associated timelines that reside on a single MIDI note. The audible result of a Gesture can vary from simple to complex—a Stutter Gesture could simply repeat a small chunk of audio at an 1/8 note rhythmic rate, or it could trigger a run of raging glitches that get decimated by a bit crusher before being filtered into a wash of echoes. Whoa.
Condensing such sonic adventures into a single key press is what makes Stutter Edit so playable, especially with its intelligent sense of timing. Stutter Edit is designed with musicality in mind, which frees you to make wild sounds that still feel like a natural part of your tracks. Outside of the studio, couple Stutter Edit with a host like Ableton Live to rocket your performances into a new world of organic improvisation.
The best way to learn more is to simply start playing, listening, and observing the power of Stutter Edit's controls. Get started by checking out feature details and audio samples below, then download the demo and try for yourself!
Whether you’re constructing the next chart topper, sound effect or live performance, Stutter Edit’s cutting-edge audio slicing and manipulation saves you time. Abuse new rhythmic possibilities safe in the knowledge that everything’s synced perfectly to your timeline… unless, of course, you hit the mod wheel to override everything to granular infinity and beyond!
- Create incredible sweeps that transition from one rhythmic value to another, or repeat audio at a rhythmic note value with the Stutter Module.
- Choose a note value from 1/4 to 1/1024 for the Stutter Module to sweep or step between. That's not enough? Make your audio repeat at a high enough frequency to turn it into musical pitches with the Stutter Matrix.
- Create unheard-of stepping effects that transform your audio into complex rolls, trills and even arpeggios, using the Quantize Module. With Quantize off, Stutter Edit sweeps between note values continuously.
- Dice drum loops. Jump between notes in a vocal phrase. Use the Buffer Position’s slick radar screen to choose where Stutter Edit pulls audio out of the buffer. You can even randomize playback order for unexpected results.
Inject new colors and textures into your music with the real-time, instantly gratifying audio effects built right in to the Stutter Edit engine. Ride the new, real-time wave-changing paradigm. Whether combining filter sweeps with beat repeats, delays with reverse swoops or bit crushers with granular break-downs, let your music and effects do the talking, not countless hours of editing.
- Make aggressive resonant sweeps or create LFO-like modulation that locks to each Gesture's timeline using the Filter Module. Shape the sound of each key-controlled Gesture individually, or use the Global Filter to apply a buildup/breakdown filter sweep to your entire audio track.
- Fly from a subtle chorus to a springy rubber-band effect with the deep Delay Module. Dedicated resonant band-pass filters provide perfectly tweakable results to your wet, delayed signal.
- Get a dose of digital distortion crunch or add a periodic growl using the Bit Reduction Module. Like every Stutter Edit module, it'll move in sync with the tempo.
- Get back to the old-timey future with the Lo-Fi Module. Adjust the Lo-Fi settings to get a "vintage digital" vibe or bury the whole track in fuzz.
While Stutter Gestures process audio, Generator Gestures mix noises and crashes with your track. The Generator gives you the ideal tool for creating washes of noise, dramatic build-ups, and hits that add excitement to a track.
For performance, choose where you want the Generator Gesture to end, and no matter where you trigger it, it will intelligently stop on the perfect beat. You can even hold a Generator Gesture as you jump between different Stutter Gestures. The result: an improvised arrangement that sounds like you've spent hours toiling in the studio.
Stutter Edit comes with over 35 preset banks and over 800 gestures, all designed for a vast variety of musical genres or specific types of effects.
- Build tension, or drop a breakdown via a downward swoosh of noise, with the Generator’s Pitch Module. Scale the pitch of the Generator's noise tables over twelve octaves automatically.
- Add a little more bite by adding the Lo-Fi Module in the Generator Gesture for a grainy, gritty noise wash or stab.
- Release a dramatic build-up into a trail of decaying echoes with the Generator’s dedicated Delay Module, ensuring a perfectly smooth transition.
- Automate the Generator’s resonant Band-pass filter to shape and squelch blasts of noise.
- Cut, jump, and reimagine your rhythmic pulse with the Cuts and Jumps and BT Signature category presets, Stutter Edit’s bread and butter.
- Warp all sense of time (while staying on grid and in tempo!) using the Time Warp category presets.
- Mix your audio 360 degrees through the audio space/time continuum by launching one of the Space and Delay or Stereo Tricks category presets.
- Bring back the sounds of old with presets laced in chip-tune, arcade-style nostalgia for glitches and beat juggling that marries the past with futuristic rhythms.
- Why stop there? Expansion Packs are available here as free downloads to further enhance your Stutter Edit experience.
- Elegant and intuitive MIDI control allows for simple setup, letting you focus on your music and your sound. Claim back those hours wasted adjusting hundreds of parameters in multiple third-party effects with mouse control.
- Variable curves enhance the modulation characteristics of the parameters themselves, creating interesting textures that develop over time.
- Automatic host sync, with custom definitions available for both Gesture Length and Release Mode, allows you full control over the music without the need to trigger effects perfectly in time.
- Super low CPU and rock solid stability allows for reliable live use.
- Playable "stutter" effect for studio and stage
- Huge amount of control over slicing/stuttering in real time
- Effects linked to simple "gestures" on a MIDI controller
- Stutter Edit samples live audio continuously and lets you manipulate it in unique ways
- Create completely unique stutter effects - turn pitch into rhythm, and rhythm into pitch
- Experiment with a huge range of effect sounds by playing keys or pads on a MIDI controller
- Create complex retriggering, pan and gating edits using instrument tracks and entire songs
- Improvise live remixes with stutter fills, filter sweeps and build-ups that sound like they were produced in the studio
- The perfect companion for Ableton Live for laptop performances and DJ sets
Stutter Edit in the studio on vocals, drums and other instruments to
recreate painstaking stutter-editing techniques pioneered by producers
- Combines 12 tempo-synced rhythmic effects that can be played like an instrument
- Grid feature automatically corrects your timing when performing effects live
- Set up your own gestures and custom performance banks with a powerful preset manager
- Works as an RTAS, AU, and VST effect
BreakTweaker is the beat machine of the
future. Powered by three distinct modules, the Sequencer, the Generator,
and the MicroEdit Engine, it's a wildly creative rhythmic instrument
that can be used with any DAW and MIDI controller. For instant
gratification, get started with the diverse presets and content in the
Factory Library, a showcase of BreakTweaker's breadth and sonic
capabilities. When you want to get deeper, forge new sonic weaponry with
BreakTweaker's paradise of tweaky controls and settings.
sequencing is so 1984. With BreakTweaker, you can slice and manipulate
audio at a resolution that would blow MIDI’s mind (and your DAW’s).
Thanks to the MicroEdit Engine within BreakTweaker, each step can be
repeated or chopped at an infinitesimally small rate, allowing you to
create buzzing musical harmony, texturize a step with extra rhythms, or
even use rhythm as a synthesis tool, locking drum hits to individual
pitches. Even the most ordinary of drum hits can be transformed into a
thing of the future.
Create Evolving Sequences
- Glitch and revolutionize any drum sample or rhythm with hi-res pitch, arp, and texture control—all the way down to a micro-slice level.
- Take a wild ride through the audio space/time continuum by
dividing a single sequenced event into up to thousands of unique slices
that pulse with sonic movement, as defined by Division, Pitch, Time or
- Create the most unique drum sound you’ve ever heard: add tension, slopes and curves to shape the contour and rotation of the slices, then apply additional FX.
- Quickly change the entire sound of a beat with the Randomize feature, which automatically MicroEdits the selected step in your Sequencer pattern.
Whether you’re working with drums,
bass, or abstract noises, BreakTweaker is driven by the patterns you
define in the Sequencer. Freed from the constraints of a pre-defined
time signature, BreakTweaker’s Sequencer can program anything from basic
patterns to unique tracks of patterns with individual lengths and
Explore Stunning Content
- Build exciting beats with the 32-step Sequencer, with up to
24 patterns synced to your DAW. Launch, trigger, latch, and switch your
way to full-fledged drum sample and synth productions.
- Evolve and transform your patterns by giving each Sequencer
track a unique tempo and step length, allowing the entire beat pattern
to develop into new musical ideas over time.
- Create entire productions, then route the individual Sequencer tracks to separate outputs for optimum mixing with BreakTweaker’s Multi-Out mode.
BreakTweaker comes with an extensive
Factory Library of samples to choose from for building your next custom
kit. Get the latest in cutting-edge drum sound design, as well as an
entire suite of carefully produced classic sounds that no
self-respecting drum library could be without. Why spend hours building
the basics from scratch when BreakTweaker already has it all?
Sculpt Next-Gen Drum Sounds
- Explore today's top sounds, designed by today’s top musicians and DJs, including BT—available royalty free for use in BreakTweaker or your sampler of choice.
- Wield dubstep power with multi-layered kicks and snares for earth-shattering presence.
- Elicit cinematic drama with Booms and Hits, Metals, Cymbals and Bells, as well as Vocal Breath one-shots.
- Kickstart your next track with over 80 beat presets that showcase BreakTweaker’s power.
The Generator is a powerful tool for
drum synthesis. At its core are two Morphing Wavetable
Oscillators—capable of reproducing anything from the simplest to the
most complex sounds a synth can pump out. An entire library of custom
waveforms by BT and other top producers gives you the building blocks
you need to make compelling synthesized timbres.
- Sculpt the next generation of drum sounds with unique-sounding wavetables, including BT's prized wavetables (never before available!).
- Go far beyond traditional synth textures—choose from five
wavetable synthesis modes: Single, Additive, Ring Modulation, Amplitude
Modulation (AM), or Frequency Modulation (FM).
- Morph and modulate away with quadruple LFO and Envelope modulation routing, perfect for adjusting pitch, wavetables, amplitude and more.
- Get a start on advanced drum design with inbuilt Generator presets that you can tweak and adjust to taste.
Make every step of your next track sound more
exciting, more musical, and more dynamic. BreakTweaker’s custom-designed
LFO and Envelope provide some of the most creative modulation you’ll
find anywhere. Each modulation source can manipulate the settings of any
Generator parameter, moving the parameter between a modulation range of
- Modulate anything in the Generator window with one of four
LFOs or Envelopes. Assign up to two Modulators per parameter to create
new movement, add harmonics, and enhance your productions.
- Create previously unheard textures with innovative wavetable LFO control, featuring LFO shapes that have never before been available for synthesis.
To dirty up, filter down, spread out, or otherwise
mangle your sound, BreakTweaker’s Generators come fortified with an
array of distortion effects, as well as vintage-modeled New York and
Tokyo filters for shaping your sound.
Discover the Perfect Sound
- Smooth samples and meld layers together with the custom-modeled, analog-style New York and Tokyo High Pass, Band Pass, and Low Pass filters.
- Distort, mangle, and transform with dual-stage distortions inspired by the iZotope’s cult classic Trash 2, featuring algorithms such as Warm, Transistor, Hard, Digital, Raw, and Aliasing.
- Enhance width, add stereo space and create lush drum hits with individual Chorus effects for every sequenced step via the MicroEdit Engine.
The Discover feature in BreakTweaker
is a novel way to narrow down your search for just the right drum sound.
Powered by iZotope's
technology, Discover will analyze and display similar-sounding samples
when you’re browsing the Factory Library. No more scrolling endlessly
through sample lists when your drum sound is
close, but not perfect.
Supported operating systems:
Windows: 32/64 bit (XP, 7, 8)
Mac: OS X 10.6.8 or later (Intel-based Macs only)
- Easily search the vast Factory Library with an audio
intelligence engine that will match complementary drum sounds: not based
on meta-data, but on actual musical analysis.
- Discover new sounds. Click “Discover” and you’ll instantly
be shown intelligently-selected, similar-sounding drum hits from the
BreakTweaker collection for quick auditioning.
AAX (Pro Tools 11), RTAS (Pro Tools 7.4-10), VST and VST 3, Audio Unit
BreakTweaker works as a virtual instrument in popular
hosts like Pro Tools, Cubase, Nuendo, SONAR, ACID, Ableton Live, and many more.