Bitwig Studio 2.1
BITWIG STUDIO is a new and innovative music creation,
recording, and performance software that supports all three major computing platforms: Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. Combining traditional arrangement sequencing with modern performance-oriented clip launching
workflows, BITWIG STUDIO is the ultimate solution for realizing all your musical ideas across every stage of production.
STUDIO offers a state-of-the-art audio engine under the hood, with full
multi-processing support, a unified modulation system, 32/64-bit VST plugin bridging, and VST plugin crash protection.
With Bitwig Studio 2.1 we give the included sound content library a big boost. Enjoy over 150 high quality presets for many different Bitwig devices, 7 new meticously crafted drum kits from a famous hardware manufacturer and some 170+ drum samples. We round things off with an impressive 7-string electric guitar multi-sample, carefully recorded over 4 octaves and 4 velocity layers.
All new content is available from the Package Manager in Bitwig Studio 2.1
2.1 Features, fixes and fanfares!
We're proud to present the next update of Bitwig Studio, here's what's new:
- Inject some virtual analog grit into your sounds with the new Amp device
- MIDI Clock Slave functionality let's you sync up to external clocks
- Plenty of fixes and improvements
- New partner sound package: Irrupt Eurorack
- Over 150 high quality presets for numerous devices, including 7 new drum kits, 174 drum samples, and an impressive multi-sampled electric guitar right at your finger tips
- Watch the videos to the right, and check out the full changelog to learn more
Bitwig Studio 2 comes fully loaded with powerful new features and updates, here's a quick overview:
Released back in 2014, Bitwig Studio 1 was the first music production software to combine linear and non-linear sequencing on Windows, macOS and Linux. With cutting edge technologies like plug-in crash protection and a highly flexible user interface, alongside a lightning fast workflow experience for keyboard, mouse and touch screens, Bitwig Studio has attracted a large and steadily growing user base all over the world.
A re-conceptualized modulation system with 25 brand new Modulators
- Numerous device updates, including remote controls, dynamic displays and spectrum analyzers
- 17 entirely new devices
- Better hardware integration, with improved MIDI handling and several dedicated MIDI and CV devices
- Fades and crossfades
- VST3 support
- ...and much more!
We're proud to present the next edition of Bitwig Studio, introducing a full set of powerful new features. Watch the announce video and scroll down for more information.
Introducing A New Modulation Paradigm
The current version of Bitwig Studio already offers one of the industry's most flexible and powerful modulation systems, and with Bitwig Studio 2 we’re taking things even further. We've reworked the entire modulation system and it now offers nearly endless possibilities;
This is a big step towards a fully modular device architecture.
Each device in Bitwig Studio 2 (internal devices and external plug-ins) have modulation slots where you can load individual modulators. Bitwig Studio 2 comes with 24 brand new modulators; from standard modulators like envelopes and LFOs - to more unique modulator types like Random, Select-4 and Math.
An unlimited number of modulators can be added to a device by simply clicking an empty Modulator slot and choosing a specific Modulator from the pop-up browser. Assign the modulator to any number of parameters, with ease and flexibility. Modulators can also be interconnected for truly dynamic and expressive sound design possibilities.
When using internal Bitwig instruments, many modulators can be set to polyphonic mode - enabling per-voice modulation - something previously only seen in closed systems.
New in Bitwig Studio 2
Because we love devices.
Apart from totally re-conceptualizing the modulation system and introducing an entire new class of Modulator devices, we're also expanding the standard device collection. Here's a list of the new additions, which we hope you’ll love as much as we do.
This is an essential tool for many producers. Simply put, it gives you a visual representation of the audio material you feed it. The new Spectrum Analyzer allows for a freely selectable secondary input, so you can directly compare the frequency graph of two separate audio sources.
* DUAL PAN *
With this device you can control panning for individual channels of a stereo signal.
* DC OFFSET *
A utility device to add DC offset to an audio signal, for instance to generate audio signals from modulation.
You asked for a phaser, we built a phaser - and a very capable one at that. Happy phasing!
This pitch shifter shifts your pitch up or down one octave, with precise fine-tune and grain control.
Organic zero-crossing amplitude controlled ring modulator with a life of its own. That's honestly the most accurate description we can give you.
This chorder device will generate up to 7 notes based on the note you send into it, with pitch and velocity settings.
This device will transform all notes to a defined length and velocity. In its second mode it can generate a fixed-length note when the key is released.
So much more than a standard echo, this seemingly simple device allows you to get creative with note echoes and loops.
The Note Latch device will simply hold any note you send into it until it receives the next note - or until you click its stop button.
With this device you can transform velocity on incoming notes using a curve - or go ahead and use modulators for some dynamic velocity effects.
Note harmonizer will transpose your notes in real-time to harmonize with a chord playing on another track.
BETTER HARDWARE INTEGRATION
We speak hardware.
We’ve done a lot of work under the hood to revamp MIDI handling in Bitwig Studio; improving sync and note timing. We are also introducing a set of devices that will allow you to seamlessly integrate hardware machines into your workflow via MIDI and CV/Gate.
This device can be used to send CC data to external hardware or plug-ins. Add it to a HW Instrument device to get instant access to your hardware's parameters.
MIDI PROGRAM CHANGE
As the name implies, this device allows you to control program changes of your hardware or VST plug-ins from Bitwig Studio.
HW CLOCK OUT
Using the HW CV Clock device you can send CV clock to audio outputs, with individual time settings.
* MIDI SONG SELECT *
A device used to send MIDI song select messages to external devices, for instance to change patterns on a drum machine.
HW CV INSTRUMENT
Use this device to send notes as CV and gate to an output on your audio interface, to control analog synths, eurorack modules and other hardware.
HW CV OUT
This is a simple device to send a CV signal to an output on your audio interface.
Bitwig Studio 2 can send out MIDI timecode (MTC). In Settings, you can choose to send out MTC through any connected MIDI device, and configure its rate.
* CONTROLLER API IMPROVEMENTS *
We've worked on the open controller API to make it more consistent. A new scripting engine gives better performance, and you now get improved and immediate feedback while scripting.
Now every device now has a Remote Controls panel, where you can assign remote control access to any parameter in the device (or nested in the device chain).
Navigate existing pages or freely set up your own, using different control elements (e.g. knobs, buttons, choosers).
Mappings can now be saved with presets or devices, allowing on-the-fly access to your favorite parameters directly from your hardware controller, when browsing through your library or swapping between devices and tracks.
This powerful and flexible new feature refines and improves the Device Mappings and Macro pages from Bitwig Studio 1.
DYNAMIC DISPLAYS EVERYWHERE
With the overhaul of our device collection, we've equipped several devices with spectrum analyzers and dynamic display panels.
FADES AND CROSSFADES
Your fast workflow just got a lot faster.
You can now create fades and crossfades for audio clips in the arranger timeline or audio editor. Additionally, you can create fades for audio events inside clips - for truly fast yet flexible editing. Naturally, the curve slopes of all fades can be adjusted.
Easily edit fades by hovering the mouse cursor over clip or event boundaries, and then drag the fade handle when it appears. Crossfades are automatically created when you move clips so they overlap.
In Bitwig Studio 2 you can freely adjust the height of individual tracks in the arranger timeline.
We are happy to announce that we now support the VST3 plug-in standard, including per-note expression and sample accurate automation.
SMART TOOL SWITCHING AND IMPROVED EDITOR WORKFLOW
With Bitwig Studio 2, we've improved the efficiency of our tools. You can now achieve many standard tasks without having to swap tools: depending on where you click, you can select multiple objects or time segments, edit fades or zoom and scroll.
The Dashboard, likely the first new feature you'll bump into, handles many tasks that were previously available only in menus and other windows - such as locating and opening projects, configuring settings, installing packages and accessing help resources. The Dashboard allows a more sophisticated and user-friendly approach, informed by modern software design paradigms.
NEW MENU SYSTEM
We’ve reworked the menu system extensively. Bitwig Studio 2 now features a context-aware menu system to keep you focused on the task at hand. Depending on your selection, different menus and options will be shown. For instance, when selecting a track, a menu will be shown with all available related actions.
- Cross-platform DAW (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux)
- Intuitive non-linear sequencing for the studio and beyond
- Full multi-core and multi-processor support
- VST 2.4 support with built-in 32/64-bit bridging and plug-in crash protection
- Proprietary time-stretching technology
- Multi-display support for up to 3 displays
- Tabbed document interface for multiple projects open at once with drag-and-drop between them Over 50 included devices, including conventional Instruments (Polysynth, FM-4, Organ, Sampler and analog-style Drum Modules) and FX (Delays, Equalizers, Compressors), as well as Container devices (to build parallel instrument or effect chains), Note FX, and Modulator devices (additional controllers like LFOs and step sequencers for modulating any other device).
- Unified Modulation System: Use Macro Controls, Note Expressions, LFOs, and Envelope
- Followers to modulate any device parameter, including nested internal devices and even VST plug-ins
- Advanced layered editing
- Note and Audio expressions, including per-note Micro-Pitch Control
- Dynamic Object Inspector: Select multiple notes or events and edit them together with the interactive parameter histogram, easily adding variations as you go
- Automatic sample slicing to both Sampler or Drum Machine
- Multiple audio events per clip: Automatically cut up samples and rearrange them on the fly in the Detail Editor
- Dedicated Device Panel Mappings with color-coded knobs and buttons for an overview at a glance Support for various MIDI controllers out of the box
- Sound Content: Over one thousand presets and sounds, 3 GB of factory content: Drum Machines (808, 909... Percussion), Acoustic Drums, multi-sampled
- Open Controller API: Create and customize functionality for virtually any MIDI controller, including scripting access to nearly every feature of BITWIG STUDIO